MB, BS, FRACGP, FACRRM
Grad Certificate in medical and forensic management
of adult and paediatric sexual assault victims – IVANS
(Integrated Violence, Abuse and Neglect Services, NSW)
D4B Role – Strategy & Targeted Sanctions
General Practitioner / Forensic Medical Examiner
Ying’s family engagement with her country of origin and
its profound Buddhist culture has been sustained.
The family initiated the Myanmar Eye Care Project (MECP) which is led by Dr Geoff Cohn. MECP has provided well over 200,000 free sight-restoring operations.
Ying is a Myanmar Shan ethnic doctor who graduated from the University of South Pacific in Fiji in 1994 after leaving Myanmar for good during the 1988 coup.
Worked in the Pacific island countries of Fiji and Republic of Nauru before migrating to Australia in 2000.
Worked as Emergency Medicine Trainee in Western Health Network in Melbourne then moved to regional NSW rural hospitals as a Career Medical Officer.
Now works as a GP with special interest in Forensic Medicine under PARVAN
(Prevention and Response to Violence, Abuse and Neglect) in NSW.
Currently holds a staff specialist position in Southern NSW Local Health District (LHD) in forensic medicine.
Also covering Murrumbidgee LHD and Australian Federal Police (NSW) as a forensic medical examiner.
Ying’s D4B Campaign Media Engagements
- SBS World News with Melbourne Journalist Hashela Kumarawansa
- Topic: Targeted Sanctions directed at the Tatmadaw families (5th May 2021)
- Sydney Morning Herald with Foreign Affairs and National Security Reporter Anthony Galloway
- Topic: Department of Home Affairs looking into family members of the Tatmadaw (5th May 2021)
- ABC Radio National “Late Night Live” with Phillip Adams
- Topics: CDM, Medical Community, Ethnic groups and the situation on the ground in Burma. (3rd May 2021)
- D4B Debates – Panel Discussion No 2. A 4-Part Podcast Series. Ying joined the panel discussion with host Shane Brady. (23rd May 2021)
- ABC TV – The World interview. The associated online article: “Doctors arrested in Myanmar as COVID Delta cases soar”. The video package can be seen on YouTube here. A report by Erin Handley and Jordyn Butler. (24th July 2021)